Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Software rage

    I find it interesting (I guess is the word) that what ticked me off about doing Dad's taxes was not having to do them, not having to pay them in spite of the large numbers involved nor even having to pay an accountant to make sure I'm not paying those large numbers in error. What ticked me off was the TurboTax software. It generally performed great (except for the whole "large numbers" thing). Apart from the previously mentioned problem with having to buy the elite version just because Dad had one 1099-B, things were pretty smooth until the end. At the end, though, once I had printed the request for an extension (complete with the money owed), the display at the top of the program showing how much I owe went down to zero.
    I have no idea why this enraged me. Presumably, the endless supply of petty annoyances just finally went over the top. But then, I could fix all the other petty annoyances. This was a stupid thing that I could only undo by reverting to the previously saved version, which I did. When I redid the extension request, though, I came out with different numbers for no known reason. This also teed me O fairly drastically. Fortunately, I'll have a CPA looking at all this stuff to fix what needs to be fixed relatively shortly. And nobody died. But I really think that these tiny silly things are the root of my bad mood of the last week or so, complicated by bad weather. The latter has really really cleared up today. Again, this helps a LOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment