Thursday, April 30, 2015

Hashtag

    All right, OK, so I'm getting a little old. You kids with your Tweeter and your Bookface and your Instawam, I'm never going to catch up to you, I know that. I do, however, know what hashtags are for, or thought I did. (I got that far in my Twittering instructions.) It turns out, though, that the hashtag has another, newer use, and it makes me so happy.
    Those autogenerated YouTube videos that I was blithering about not long ago? The artist is always listed as #(artist's name); I noticed this right away. What I didn't realize (since previously you could only google letters and numbers; other characters were ignored) is that you can google, or rather Google Video search say something as obscure as #wonderlick (two of the guys from Too Much Joy who made one record 14 years ago) and boom, there are all their videos. Mind you, the two guys in Wonderlick grew up to work for Rhapsody and VH1, so every band might not work this well, but hey, it's a start. I'm finally feeling good about Google taking over YouTube!

No comments:

Post a Comment