Friday, April 10, 2015

Saw a muskrat

    I went exploring at the Canal Park (Historic Columbia Canal and Riverfront Park, which is why I call it Canal Park for short). I don't think that they've cut new trails, but maybe they have. More likely I just wasn't curious enough to explore. Anyway, it turns out you can go out to little islets in the Broad River. As there are benches (months? benches? Go figure English) beside the trail out on the islets, presumably this isn't a surprise to the authorities. Lots of fishing folk out there, too.
    I was bummed that the picture didn't turn out better, but I did see a cute little otter. Or a cute but really immense rat. Whatever it was was swimming in the river quite near the shore. The picture, unfortunately, was about as interesting as a pine cone bobbing in the water. Ah well. It was a very nice little walk and I dug the islets a lot. The Broad River is not most scenic river in the world, but it's always nice to get next to water. I didn't much feel like emulating the otter; he seemed to feel similarly about getting next to land, though.

Edit: I guess the picture turned out better than I thought. I wound up posting it on Facebook more because I liked the texture of the water rather than because I thought anybody could identify the animal. But somebody could. Was muskrat. I didn't even know we have muskrats around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment