Sunday, May 10, 2015

King of leaping before looking

    Last Wednesday was Gluten-Free Independence Day. Aldi came out with another slew of gluten-free items. Truth to tell, due to other (self-diagnosed) sensitivities, I can't eat most of them. But I was still rather thrilled about it. The rest of the world is backlashing against gluten-free everything pretty relentlessly, so it's cool to see support anywhere.
    One item that I could eat was angel food cake mix, so I bought it. Leap before looking 1: I failed to notice that the directions called for 12 egg whites. I can separate eggs pretty well, but 12 strikes me as post-doctoral. But it's ok; they sell egg whites in cartons these days. Leap before looking 2: I bought the carton (cartons actually) without reading much of the text written on it, including the warning that because the egg whites have been pasteurized, they shouldn't be used for angel food cake. I'm going through with it, with cocoa added. How bad could it be? I'm assured that powdered egg whites are also for sale; I will check, I promise, that they can be used for angel food cake before buying a dozen eggs worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment