Monday, February 8, 2016

I, uh, fell asleep

    Not to say that it wasn't a particularly super Super Bowl, but I fell asleep repeatedly during the first half, and that was when it could have gone either way. Of course, I also fell asleep twice in the past two days while cooking, the second time burning up my spaghetti pot more than somewhat, so I may have finally come down with Dad's narcolepsy. (Smoke detector will probably be re-batteried and re-hung up any minute now, if not replaced with a new one.)
    I'm Old School enough to appreciate a defensive battle, but am also the first to admit that it doesn't make for electrifying TV. I find a pitcher's duel much more tense and edge-of-the seat. I've also fallen asleep watching many, many baseball games, but I'm not sure that any of them were genuine pitcher's duels. The Braves used to have a pitcher named Charlie Leibrandt who put up fine numbers, but whenever I watched he seemed to be giving up 8-run innings. And I was off to cavort with the Sandman.
    It's nice that Peyton got his second ring. It's creepy that he slipped in that Budweiser reference twice. That didn't seem the LEAST bit staged. Dan Patrick says that active players can't shill for alcohol, so this was actual a tipoff to his retirement status. I thought it was the NFL getting even further in bed with their sponsors, so it's nice to think it might have had some other meaning. And that's probably the finest commentary on the game itself: the most that can be said about it is what happened afterwards. Zzzzzzz.

2 comments:

  1. My middle son wasn't able to watch the Superbowl because he was stuck in the library doing problem sets that are due today in his physical chemistry class. Sad to think he had the more interesting evening of the two of us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could have hired a couple of guys to fall down a lot for a few hours and done just as well without having to mute Coldplay!

      Delete