Sunday, February 7, 2016

Payola in bluegrass not what it once was

    There's a station in town called The Dude, 94.3 on your dial, playing autotuned country 6 and 23/24 days a week. The other hour is 8 on Sunday morning, when they have a bluegrass show. It's fine as far as it goes. But they only play about 10 songs. Over and over. Every week. They're good songs and I like them. I just can't get over the idea that with 100 years of bluegrass recordings to choose from, they could maybe try introducing a little more variety.
    Of course, cynic that I am, another idea that I can't get over is that there's some kind of payola involved. Why anybody would pay to get the same 10 songs played over and over at 8 in the morning in a relatively minor market is another question that I can't answer. Presumably they're the only 10 non-autotuned records that the station owns. That would also be sad. Maybe they'd like me to loan them a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment