Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Hopefully in English

    Hi, I'm a little fatigued. Hopefully this doesn't come out in Esperanto or something. This morning, the social worker at Baptist Hospital called and said that Dad would be going to Lowman Home this afternoon. She also said that he would be doing dialysis in Irmo relatively near the nursing home and that they had changed his days to Monday, Wednesday Friday. Therefore, the hospital was giving him a short dialysis session this morning. I pointed out that he didn't have any clothes and suggested I bring him some and she thought that a good idea.
    So I called the nurse's station on his floor and they said he would be gone a couple of hours. I asked if it was OK for me to leave the clothes in his room and they said yeah. So I called Margeret and asked her to get his clothes together. Meanwhile, the dialysis facility called and asked me to come do Dad's paperwork so he could start Friday. I said no problem but explained the clothing situation. I went to Margaret's to pick up the clothes and set off for the hospital. The lady from dialysis called, having remembered to tell me to bring his insurance cards. So I went home to get his insurance cards and on to the hospital to drop off his clothes.
    At the dialysis facility, I signed my time more times than I have since the last time I had to do this, then called the nursing home. I suggested that since my Dad was due there this afternoon, they might want me to sign some stuff. Not surprisingly, they did. I signed my name again enough times that there should have been a pile of traveler's checks involved, but there wasn't. They did let me keep the pen, though.
    She showed me his room and then we went back to the office to find out when or whether Dad was coming when the ambulance drivers brought him through the door. So he got all set up in his room and the ambulance folks went away when Dad asked where was his walker. I called the hospital and asked and they said that they still had it. So I went back to the hospital, got his walker, went home, fed the cats, fed me quickly, picked up Margaret, and headed through rush hour traffic back to Dad.
    Speeds in the fast lane were a heady 5-10 mph, but at least we were moving, and we got there eventually. The facility doesn't have phones in the room, but my sister has gotten Dad a couple of Tracfones over the years and I was able to find one with both a regular and a car charger. Unfortunately, it's a little tricky, so he may have trouble either calling out or answering calls, but it was the best I could do.
    Anyway, he's in a superb place, in a nice, large room. He'll have physical therapy twice a day. He is very glad to be out of the hospital and already likes the food better. The staff is kind and caring. On the whole, we're well-pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment