Friday, September 5, 2014

It's hard to say what it's hard to say

    That sounds like this is going to be heavy emotional stuff, but nothing could be further. No, I just don't know what I'm talking about as far as technical difficulties are concerned, and in fact don't know how to word them. Facebook has issues. Facebook's smart phone apps especially seem to have issues. They are pretty odd issues.
    Facebook for Windows Phone apparently caused me to ditch that phone prematurely and unnecessarily. The issue that I was seeing is that the phone was full up. There was no more room on the Sim card (if that's the wrong term, remember, you were warned). And what the phone was reporting was that all this was the Windows Phone system. I kept ditching apps to keep the phone running, but eventually I ran out of apps so... I got a new phone.
    The thing is, there's a game I like that's only available for Windows Phone. The guy at T-Mobile said that I could keep up with it running the old phone off the new phone's hot spot, so that's what I did. But I no longer wanted Facebook sending me notifications on the old phone, so I ditched Facebook for Windows Phone. And suddenly I had vast amounts of space on the phone.
    So: issue one: Either just taking the phone off the network suddenly cleared up a lot of space on the phone, or Facebook for Windows Phone bloats horribly and also lies, saying that it's actually the system doing the bloating. I don't know, I really don't, but I'm betting on the latter.
    On the new phone is just strangeness with Facebook for Android. Let's see, sometimes I can tag people on checkins after the fact; sometimes I can't. (If you don't use Facebook a lot, this comes out in Martian. Don't worry about it. Trust me; it makes sense. Sort of.)
    Stranger: on Facebook for Windows, you can choose whether you look at the most recent status updates or what Facebook software considers the most important ones. On FB for droid, you can't choose. It's always a jumble; how anybody could consider this stuff "most important" is beyond me. Bu-ut, it used to be that you have to check in on FB for Windows at least once every 12 hours or it would reset you to Most Important every. effing. day. Now it's not doing that, almost as if FB actually thinks that its Droid version is in fact showing Most Recent stories, even though it isn't. Sorry I can't make this clearer; again, you were warned. Your takeaway: Facebook has been getting more annoying all the time for years. Signal is approaching the vanishing point while noise is nearing a complete takeover. I for one am trying to keep the cat pictures torch burning. But it's getting harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment