Monday, October 19, 2015

Been there, done that

    Some twenty years ago, some government entity put signs all over town near waterways reading, "The 100 year flood level at this location is..." some wholly other depth. I've also seen these in other cities, so perhaps it was the federal government. Columbians were not properly horrified, so when time and vandals brought most of the signs down, few or none went back up again. And I was just thinking that I needed to go around town, now that we've had the 1000-year flood, and get a picture of one, but figured I'd never find one.
    Today, I had a moment of less that perfect clarity and decided that since State Fair traffic had been so bad this weekend, it might be again today, so I decided to walk my electric bill over to the branch office (which is maybe a mile away) instead of driving. Really I'm not quite that crazy, but it was a beautiful day and it was a fair excuse for a long walk. On the way back, I found a 100-year flood sign, and photographed it. Once again, I'd rather be lucky than good.
    What I didn't photograph was a sign on a barbed-wire-topped fence saying that what it was protecting was a laydown yard. Just me, but I would think that if you wanted people to lay down in your yard, you would make it easier for them. People! (Eventually I will look up what a laydown yard is but whatever that might be, I still think it's funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment