Monday, October 5, 2015

Note: I'm fine

    Living here between the creek and the river, an area where when I moved here was regularly subject to flooded streets, it's funny (emphatically funny peculiar, not haha) that I'm almost untouched. We are under a boil water order, but my water is at least clear and not malodorous. (I'm boiling it, though, believe me.) Friends have the ugly, stinky water, or none at all, so I'm ridiculously lucky. Nor did I ever lose power. This is an unbelievable disaster, however. One good friend lost his house; since dams are still failing, we haven't been able to enter cleanup phase yet. Still, a day or two and we should have a better idea what the situation is. When the Red Cross asks for help for us, give generously, but you don't need to worry about me.
    My longtime favorite park, Canal Park for short or Columbia Riverfront Park and Historic Columbia Canal, has washed away. The canal breached and is gone. This is not just a recreation issue, as the Columbia Water Treatment Plant is there, and many high tension power lines also cross(ed) the park. I'm amazed that I still have water and power. Obviously, this will not necessarily continue to be the case.
    Wrenching the topic wildly away from reality to dreamland, I had a wackily photorealistic dream last night, where I was at my brother's house, offering him my synthesizer and organ like I'm thinking of doing in real life (since he's had piano instruction and I haven't). And he said "(A female name) can't be around those." Apparently, he and his girlfriend 40 years ago had a baby and she's still a baby. Pretty weird even by dream standards, I thought, particularly as everything was 100% real up to that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment