Monday, October 12, 2015

VERY happy for a minute there

    I went to Timmerman Trail (aka 12,000 Year Historical Park Trail, aka Cayce Riverwalk phase 4) fully expecting to turn around and drive some place else. Instead, the traffic cones that had blocked off the parking lot were stacked neatly to one side. I was soooooo happy. I parked and went out for a long, long stroll. I met maybe a half dozen walkers and joggers, which was kind of odd since there was only one other car in the lot. However, there is a medical office building adjacent and SCANA (the power company)'s headquarters are nearby, so maybe they came from there.
    I made it all the way around, almost, when I met a couple of maintenance men. They told me that the trail was closed, that it was in fact dangerous, and I had to turn around. This is insane, as they were telling me that the park was dangerous and I now had to walk farther than if they had just let me past. I now realize that they thought I was parked on the road behind me and if I had stood my ground and explained where my car was, they would have let me by. But hey, I like walking and I'd already seen how not dangerous the trail was. (It was a little muddy, with one tree fallen across the trail, but was about as dangerous as the center of town in the middle of the afternoon.)
    Anyway, I had a terrific, if illegal, walk, and the fact that there are maintenance guys out there, however dedicated they might be to their smokes instead of their work, suggests that someday soon it'll be open again. Judging by them, someday in 2018, but still. By the time I came out, they had put up Closed signs and Caution tape, but they left the lot open. Common sense would have said just to put the cones out again to block the lot, but then that kind of sense has never in fact been common.

No comments:

Post a Comment