Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Very damn funny

    Mr. John D. MacDonald wrote a great many novels and stories during the '50s and early '60s. Then in 1964 he started the Travis McGee series and started seriously printing money. I never noticed before that he took 1967 off from Travis. Friday, Paul found a John D. I hadn't seen or heard of before for me at Goodwill. It turns out to be the 1967 John D, The Last One Left. He dedicates it to Travis McGee. It centers around a boat called the Munequita. When Travis returns in 1968, he has a new small boat to go with his barge-type houseboat and his Rolls-Royce pickup (just don't even ask) called-- the Munequita. Very damn funny, John D.! Travis does say he bought her at an estate sale and that the previous owner, a man named Kayd ran out of luck out Bahamas way, which is the plot of The Last One Left in a nutshell.
    The title threw me off completely, since he had published collections of his stories under titles "The Good Old Stuff" and "More Good Old Stuff." I figured "Last One Left" completed the trilogy. It was such a very pleasant surprise that it was a novel instead!
    I had many wild, weird, violent, unpleasant dreams last night. You're probably almost as glad as I am that I don't remember hardly anything. There was some instance where I tried someone's coffee and had to spit out a plank and wire. I think that was the relatively pleasant part.

No comments:

Post a Comment