Saturday, January 16, 2016

Adjusting a year late

    I'm finally catching up to the notion that the long siege is ended, that I no longer live in perpetual crisis, and fun and socializing is possible. Not that I ever felt that the latter were prohibited; they were just very difficult since I always always always was on call. And even after Dad died, I was so much in the habit of solitude that I didn't think twice about, for instance, putting a third of my CDs in shelves literally on my "dining room table" (card table) such that any potential dinner guest would be in a very awkward position.
    Relatedly, before Dad had his decline, I was planning to start cooking days in advance by freezing individual meals so I could do my cooking on weekends and maybe go out and get a job. But during the siege, I did my cooking days in advance and just kept everything in the fridge, reheating lunch and dinner daily until I ran out and cooked one, the other or both as time and Dad demands permitted. In the intervening year, I've maintained this method as it's very time-saving. But it also saddles me with leftovers that I have to eat or they will go bad, which creates pressure not to go out.
    So I may revive plan A and freeze individual meals; I certainly have the containers for it, not used these four or five years. And today I bought some little Sauder-type shelves that are ideal for CDs, so I can free up the dining room table. Whether anyone comes to eat here or not, Amelia will be thrilled. She was hating those shelves, which are hard for a hefty cat to jump over. We're getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment