Friday, January 22, 2016

Winning Goodwill

    I note first that yesterday's (second or official) entry was #1,800. Not that this is some signal achievement, but it's a neat number.
    There is a specific Goodwill in town that has remained loyal to R&B while the other locations flee to crap country. That is out Garner's Ferry Road. The music is so good that I consider it my personal nightclub and have difficulty leaving, and also have difficulty going out to real clubs of a Friday night because Goodwill is so cool. I realize absolutely how insane this sounds.
    Regardless, because of the weather forecast, I wasn't sure if I would be making it out today (i.e., Friday) like I usually do and so went yesterday. I was buttonholed by a friendly guy who wanted to talk and talk and talk about his hobby of collecting balloon glasses. I'm SO nice, I even pointed one out for him, a good one, too. Then a young man in the electronics section thought a label on a stereo receiver meant that they were asking $157. I showed him the underline that made it $15.75 and then the outlet where he could check if it was working, kicking myself because it looked like a good piece of equipment. Later he came back and told me that if I was interested, it worked. I was.
    They also had a matching 5-disc CD player at the same price, both Kenwood, both apparently early 21st century (a phrase I'm not sure I've ever had the opportunity to use before). My new old receiver is so old that it doesn't have polarized plugs. My old CD changer (not from Goodwill, but really old) has a short in it somewhere or anyway always smells like ions and not in a good way. (Like an electrical fire.) So I jumped on the opportunity.
    It only took an hour to get the new noisemakers set up. Like the item that I didn't want to pay $100 for at His House, this receiver is designed for a home theater system. But for $16 I could live with the overkill. The Fisher speakers sound good with the Kenwoods. AND they're much safer for Amelia to climb on. Win win! I haven't felt this '90s since Clinton was in office!

No comments:

Post a Comment