Tuesday, January 26, 2016

I'm going to get the diabeetus

    The longer version was I'm going to get the diabeetus from my less stressful lifestyle. Back when I had to ferry Dad to dialysis and to doctor's appointments, I had to deal with enough frustrations that I had to walk every day just to keep from wanting to punch somebody. These days, frustrations are few and well spaced out and it's easy to skip going walking.
    Then again, floods are frequent and have taken away, seemingly permanently, one of my favorite walking places (Canal Park). A short portion of the Cayce Riverwalk reopened the other day and a much longer portion tied in with Timmerman Trail was open today. This has happened a lot since September; it's like a homecoming every time and surprisingly emotionally draining every time. So if we can just quit flooding for a little while, maybe I can keep diabeetus at bay. Fond as I am of walking in my own neighborhood, it's a lot easier to do this daily when there's a little more variety. Partly to catch up but mostly because I like it, I walked the whole circuit of the Riverwalk Battlefield Connector, Timmerman Trail and the 12,000 Year Historical Park Trail. It took maybe an hour and a half, so not exactly climbing Everest, but it was very pleasant. Take that, Wilford Brimley.

No comments:

Post a Comment