Wednesday, January 27, 2016

This crazy new feature called control

    I'm still getting used to having a flying camera that I can actually control. The very specific example was a picture I took several times with the old toys taking off from nearby Pacific Park. It was of interesting Olympia buildings, but also always included the top of the neighboring gas station. And while I am very fond of that gas station because somebody had the brilliant idea to call it Shiv Mart (and to open at least two more Shiv Marts around town), it's roof isn't too appealing from above. And I was looking at my display and thinking "This again," and then realized I could just turn the drone and cut the gas station out. The resulting picture wasn't that electrifying either, but that was just the result of the gloomy day.
    I'm getting better at guessing how far away I can fly without losing contact with Toy. I could wish that the display would show the distance more clearly or better yet that there would be a "You're about to lose it, stupid!" warning. But since I can just walk toward the direction Toy flew in, I'm pretty confident I'll be able to bring it home. (KNOCK ON WOOD!!!) Slightly distressing was that each time it flew home today, it set down ten or twenty feet from the start point. This is ok if I start from a baseball field, like today, but not so good if I'm in the middle of woods. Still, I can abort Fly Home at any point and I can point the camera straight down to see obstructions. I can fly it home by hand if I have to. It's just more relaxing using the Look Ma No Hands method. (The crazy new feature called not needing control.)

No comments:

Post a Comment