Wednesday, March 23, 2016

And the search resumes

    A year or so ago, as I most likely blogged about incessantly, Aldi introduced a gluten-free bread that was unprecedented. It tasted good. It had nice, soft texture. It-- well, I don't have a toaster, but I suspect that it toasted well. Anyway, it made a neat grilled fake cheese sandwich. At the time, I googled the ingredient list and found that it was from a British Columbian company called Western Family. Their website is pretty near impenetrable to me (might need the keyword "eh") but I gather that they're a supermarket chain out there. I had searched against the inevitable day when Aldi would change their mind (as they always do) and get a different supplier or discontinue the item altogether.
    They did. Their gluten-free bread is in nearly the same packaging but now comes from Ireland. Same old stuff: bad texture, dry, tastes like soil. Western Family's site hasn't gotten a lot more comprehensible (eh) but I don't imagine that they're in the mail order business. Searching Western Family gluten-free bread amazon got me nowhere as well. So I guess the search resumes. What stinks about it is that I had accepted that there is no good gluten-free bread and had learned to live without sandwiches. Now that I've found that it's possible, it's markedly harder to go back to a sandwichless life. Just got to move to Vancouver!

No comments:

Post a Comment