Sunday, March 13, 2016

No matter how many times it happens...

    Every Sunday, a local station picks up the rebroadcast of American Top 40 from the 1980s. This means that for a large portion of the year, there's a 1 in 10 chance that they'll play a show from 1983 when I wasn't yet back from junior year abroad and for a small part of the year, it's a 1 in 10 chance that they'll play a show from 1982 when I set off there. And no matter how many times it happens (for instance, right now), I'm infinitely amused how many of the songs I don't know, or at least never remember hearing on top 40 radio. Of course, the fact that most of them are bilge kind of sucks some of the fun out of it, but also in a way adds quite a lot back, too.
    In actual '82-'83, I mostly listened to tapes, ones I had brought and ones I bought, and then got into King Crimson's then-current work. (All Terry's fault.) Later, when I had a girlfriend, we listened to BBC1 much more than we should have ("Knock it on the 'ead, mate!") but I remember little except for a lot of Culture Club. Oh and "Come On Eileen." Nothing but "Come On Eileen," and more of the same as soon as I got home. Oh well, it was a small price to pay for a crazy good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment