Saturday, March 5, 2016

Synthesizing pernil

    I had a brief phase, last year I think, when I was just flat crazy about the Puerto Rican delicacy pernil. That's marinated pork shoulder. Tamara, for very good reasons not involving religion, does not eat pork. So the current effort is to find a way to fake pernil. I think I mentioned at the time of my pernil obsession that I was nuts about pico de gallo. I am sure that I have mentioned my recent discovery of canned diced tomatoes with lime, peppers and cilantro. In other words, pico de gallo without the onions. That helps! Tonight, we're going to try out pernil-style chicken thigh with vegetables and rice. I don't know how authentic it will be, I'm just hoping for tasty.
    In the end, I hope to make something pico de gallo like with lentils, I mean besides the lentil pancakes I made earlier this year. I dig 'em, but I never did master cooking them throughout without burning the top, bottom or both. I still think that lentils would make a terrific meat substitute. I used to make ok lentil meatballs by adding organic corn grits. I didn't exactly abandon the effort; I just ran out of grits. It might be time to buy more. In the end, I suspect that one or both of us will wind up being vegan. It helps to be prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment