Monday, May 7, 2012

Blue trout

    I'm rereading "Byline: Ernest Hemingway." (I bet you can't guess who that's by!) He discovered in the backcountry of Switzerland a dish called blue trout. It's prepared by boiling the trout in vinegar, bay leaves and red pepper (and, ya know, water). Now I appreciate that freshwater and saltwater fish are different. But it occurs to me that my haddock tends to be more than a little bitter, so I thought I would try something like this.
    The haddock is mostly baked; I just added the vinegar and red pepper at the end when I'm cooking it with the potatoes and (today) broccoli. It really tasted pretty good; I would say better than usual. However, it tore up my stomach something dramatic. So maybe I could get by with less vinegar. (Also, it didn't turn blue.) Anyway, it was fun to try, and will be funner to try in the future.

2 comments: