Thursday, May 10, 2012

Waiting room

    The waiting room at the dialysis place seems particularly grim, which is odd really because it's really rather pleasant. Granted, we all know why we're there and there are some smells you'd rather never encounter, but they've made it as bright and cheerful as anyone could. And I was wondering why it seemed less pleasant than it ought to. Eventually, I seized on the fact that the TV is nearly always running A&E, which during the 11 and noon hours runs cSI Miami and during the 3 and 4 o'clock hours runs The First 48. I have the strong sense that in a place such is this for a purpose such as this, running programming that's all about death is probably not an ideal choice.
    Today, they had on CBS (I think) running The Price Is Right. And the joint seemed ever so much more cheerful. (Admittedly, under the circumstances the constant diabetes ads were kind of funny, or at least ironic.) On other occasions, they've run AMC or CMT. Neither would be my first choice, but at least they're fairly unlikely to harp on death. Then again, the patrons all follow CSI intently when it's on, so maybe it's just me. Or maybe they're fully resigned. Anyway, though I'll never be a fan, I hope there's more Price Is Right in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment