Sunday, May 6, 2012

Walking with a mountain

    So Paul and I wanted to go hiking in the mountains. What I really wanted to do was go to the place I always call the best view in South Carolina. Unfortunately, though, to get there you have to go straight up a mountainside. And we knew perfectly well that we are in no kind of shape for that. So we went to the same place, Jones Gap State Park, but to a different trail, the much easier Jones Gap Trail. And it was lovely and fun and easy and then...
    Two roads diverged in a wood and I... We met the spur trail to Rainbow Falls. It's 1.6 miles long-- how hard could it be? Answer is that it isn't hard at all if you're in shape for that sort of thing. I at least was not. My knees are still sorely disappointed in me. I'm quite ready now to sign up for AARP, a recliner and Turner Classic Movies. Owie. On the other hand, it was a fun hike, we met a lot of nice people (and a lot of nice dogs and babies, strangely enough), and the payoff at the end was fantastic. I didn't even kill the guy who was smoking by the waterfall. Thought about it a lot, though. (KIDDING!)

No comments:

Post a Comment