Monday, May 21, 2012

Recurring

    Flogging the old dead horse again, let's continue the accidental dream diary. Last night, I reached a resolution of sorts in a longtime recurring dream. For ages I've been dreaming about this imaginary section of town near the river that's just full of ethnic restaurants. The question is: which town? Usually it seems to be some kind of amalgam of Philadelphia and Columbia, with nothing really in common with either real place.
    In this dream, it was definitely Philadelphia, even though it was no more Philadelphia-like than previously. (I mean, in the dream I was relieved to have it cleared up at last that this was Philadelphia, though how this was cleared up is, well, unclear.) Also I was with Robert. Robert of course hasn't lived in Philadelphia in many years, so that makes perfect sense! We were trying to find Thai restaurants, but all the Thai restaurants had closed and become jewelry stores. The Korean restaurants on the other hand were thriving.
    I would kill or die to know what any of this is supposed to mean. Of course, the obvious interpretation is that what I'm looking for is gone and I'm frustrated, and what I'm not looking for is all around me. Nah, too obvious!
    I also had a dream that was very odd in that it was microscopically detailed. Without going into those details (which were more than a little gross) I was looking at a news photograph while listening to very detailed narration. The gross part was described but not seen, fortunately. All that was pretty weird even by my exalted dreamtime standards.
    On the one hand, all this dream diary stuff is probably more than anyone wants to read. On the other, think how great it is that my life is dull enough to let me blither about this stuff, compared to a year ago and the nine months following. (In real life, I went to Poinsett State Park yesterday to hike, and got a shot of a couple of basking cottonmouths. Danger! In real life!)

No comments:

Post a Comment