Saturday, May 26, 2012

Good birthday

    So for my birthday, I wanted to go up and enjoy the best view in South Carolina. However, this required climbing straight up, at least by my standards, and the weather forecast indicated that it would be 90 degrees today even in the mountains. So in a sudden burst of common sense, I opted to go to Savannah instead.
    I did also want to go to Savannah National Wildlife Refuge to look at alligators, so not that much common sense. But the alligators declined to cooperate. I guess by noon, when we arrived, they were all basked out and hiding in the water. Dang crotchety alligators.
    So we went on to Savannah. Lunch was at a Thai place, which we had a certain difficulty finding. But getting lost in Savannah is more fun than getting found in most places, so this was no major problem. Then we headed for the tourism zone. At this moment my brother Mal called to wish happy birthday. Hearing that we couldn't find parking, he looked it up on the smart phone and guided me to a garage. Serendipity!
    We walked around, enjoying the squares and Forsythe Park and SCAD and a couple antiquarian bookstores, at one of which Paul made an acquisition for the University. So there!
    I came out of the closet as a tourist, wearing a camera in plain sight for the first time in my life. People still stopped me to ask for directions. But at least it was in English for a change.
    We had an early supper at a Jamaican place, Sweet Spice, on Waters Avenue. It was more successful than the Thai place (Kai Noodles). I stretched a point and didn't bother mentioning that I'm celiac and needed to order gluten-free (though I had chosen both places because they were on a gluten-free friendly list). I may finally be starting to learn how to relax. Maybe.
    It was a glorious fun day, topped by a call to Dad and Margaret to confirm that indeed they had gone out dancing for the first time in more than a year. And this was much the best present of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment