Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Fitness again

    I still don't care for the term "fitness," but I think I know what they're trying to say now. And I admit that I can't think of a better word for it, either. However, as I find that very little exercise provides enough muscle such that my spine hardly ever hurts anymore (KNOCK ON WOOD!), it occurs to me that the concept might have validity. My question from before (Fit for what?) still stands though. Calling somebody "fit" is calling somebody else "unfit," which strikes me as unhelpful.
    I always liked the "wellness" concept. Betterness? Go Boy Scouts and try Better Preparedness? Guess not. All I'm trying to convey is that it seems like very little exercise can allow a person, especially an older person, to live with less pain with little effort. I'm not sure that encouraging "fitness," thereby implying that they are unfit, is going to do the job. Five-minute pain relief? Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment