Sunday, May 27, 2012

Too pissed

    This probably won't be too Hemingway-like either. There's too much back story, and the back story isn't very interesting. More of a writing exercise than a blog entry. Sorry.
    Some months ago, during the never-ending crisis, I needed gas and so pulled the lever to open the little door over the... place where you put the gas in, whatever that might be called. Door didn't open. I tried to force it and it broke off entirely. I panicked a bit and went off and bought a locking gas cap. Problem solved.
    Yesterday, after all the fun and frivolity in Savannah, I was slightly low on gas and so stopped in Hardeeville SC to fill up. The card reader at the station for some reason wouldn't take my American Express. At the same time, I was tired, sun-baked and dehydrated, it was 95 degrees outside, and the guy at the next pump was blasting really godawful hip-hop at megadecibels. So I said hell with this and tried the next gas station, with the same results. At one or another station, probably the first, I left the locking gas cap on the trunk, and drove off without it. And drove all the way home without it. (Had enough gas after all, I guess!)
    Today, I filled up no problem with the same card, but noticed immediately that I no longer had a locking gas cap. Fortunately, I had kept the non-locking one and so just put that on. I guess it was an over-reaction all along. This isn't exactly a siphoning type of neighborhood. Anyway, I'll leave it until I wake up some morning with an unexpectedly empty tank. Which might be, I dunno, another sign of very late growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment