Friday, May 4, 2012

Fiasco-free again

    Hey, I went hiking today in the no-phone zone, and when I emerged, was pleased as punch to find no messages to the effect than anything terrible had happened. Moreover, last night I got a call on my cell phone and it turned out to be my brother Mal alerting me to something wonderful happening on the radio rather than any horrifying news. It's almost enough to restore a fellow's faith in Providence. Or at least Woonsocket.
    Out on the trail, I encountered a couple of Men Supposed To Be Working. They had laid down tools. One was standing around, while another was napping on the narrow bridge I was trying to cross. I found this rather rude, but then, where else are you going to lie down on a hiking trail through a swamp? Later, I encountered what had been a tree down on the trail and was now sawdust, so they had been working earlier. Also it occurred to me that they had helpfully knocked down a lot of the spider webs for me. So I felt a lot more forgiving as the morning wore on.
    It was a fairly overcast morning and Congaree NP had largely dried out again, so it shouldn't have been a great hiking day. But except for the spiders, it really was. Now to go lie in the bathtub and drown whatever vermin I might have picked up!

No comments:

Post a Comment