Monday, May 12, 2014

Adopted, again

    A week or two ago (it was another Monday, anyway, since I was taking the trash out at the time), a little cat came up and wanted to be my friend. Really really really wanted to be my friend, chatting and jabbering and I don't know what all else. (Even after all these years, I still am not fluent in cat.) I got a couple of bowls, one each of cat food and water, and put them out but by the time I'd done so, my friend was gone. Because of the proliferation of ants in my yard, I couldn't leave them out, unfortunately. End of story, I thought.
    This morning, I was going off on errands when the same friendly cat appeared. Seen in better light, he (I'm guessing) turns out to be a grey tabby with a big head and paws but a very skinny tail, so an old kitten or a very young cat. He also vocalized a lot, like I said. Since ferals only spit and hiss, this must be somebody's pet or somebody's former pet. Maybe when the kitten started clawing up the furniture, they put him out. Or maybe he got lost.
    Anyway, this time he was rubbing against my legs and chatting up a storm, and when I went to get food, he followed. And when I brought it out, he hadn't run away. Boy howdy! That cat demolished a bowl of cat food. Then demolished another bowl of cat food. I showed him to Amelia through the window, but her days of being worried about evil outside cats seem to be behind her. Back in the day, she was a terror, but she's been Queen of Olympia for so long that she wasn't even interested. So at least she isn't inherently hostile to the idea of a second cat.
    I went and ran my errands, and the little cat was gone. Time will tell if he will return. I'm betting that once he's found a total pushover like me, it's a total certainty. I would need to persuade him somehow to get in the cat carrier to go to the vet to see if he's been chipped, if he's in fact a he, and if s/he has any communicable conditions worse than fleas. And getting another cat in an apartment this small is a really, really bad idea given the lack of space, my allergies, and the unlikeliness I would ever sleep again. But we'll see. Anyway, I did a good deed, and met another sweetie sweet sweet, so it was a win all the way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment