Sunday, May 11, 2014

We mean it, man

    I'm probably the only person on Earth who could get away to a desert island for a few hours and have "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols running though his head the entire time. I rather thought I would have blogged about a similar occurrence on previous visits, but my records say that I haven't since I switched to this computer a year or so ago. I really don't think I was feeling particularly nihilistic; I believe that one of the shore birds was making a sound that sounded like the bass line between verses on the song. Anyway, that sound seemed to be what was triggering the earworm. Or maybe the birds just sing like Johnny Rotten.
    Regardless, it was a foul, terrible, unpleasant day, so of course we loved it to distraction. It rained, not hard but soakingly, for a half hour or perhaps even an hour, and the only shelter was unreachable. So we just walked up and down the beach getting rained on. It was cool, literally a little too cool, but no major hardship, and we more or less had dried out by the time the boat came to pick us up. This was another beach drop, so we spent all our time on the beach. Paul swam a bit. I actually wore trunks, but just couldn't face up to putting on that much sunscreen, so I remained covered up. The sunscreen was SPF 50; it seems to have been sufficient.
    We also tried a new place called the Taco Spot in West Ashley, also convenient to visiting my mom's grave. It was nice, too.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe the weather would improve if you went to a Dessert island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking for one of those for YEARS! Maybe I should look in Baked Alaska.

      Delete