Sunday, May 25, 2014

English sucks

    I was on my way to Sumter on, not surprisingly, the Sumter Highway, also known as Garners Ferry Road. I passed an intersection with Old Garners Ferry Road. And it occurred to me that that is an unbelievable quantity of ambiguity to pack into just four words. Is this the old road to Garner's (the correct spelling, except on road signs) Ferry? Is it the road to the old ferry of Garner? Is it the road to the ferry of Old Garner, whereas Young Garner has a different ferry? Because I'm an English speaker (more or less) who lives around here (more or less), I'm reasonably sure that it's an old stretch of the road to Garner's Ferry, replaced by the road I was riding on. But can you really know?
    I was going to Sumter because the irises at Swan Lake/ Iris Gardens always peak around the time of my birthday. Also they have an Iris Festival. I dig that Goo Goo Dolls number, too, but I'm not sure I would have a whole festival for it! Anyway, the irises were very lovely and the swans were okay as well.
    Later, just to pile it on with the English sucks theme, I would see banners advertising a sidewalk sale and a parking lot sale. I wonder if I could get a combo deal going?

No comments:

Post a Comment