Saturday, May 17, 2014

Making reality better

    I figured out what the deal is with phone pictures these days, i.e., yesterday's post. It was so blindingly obvious that I was blinded, of course. What else? The deal is that the smart phones have better screens than laptops, or at least the cheap smart phone I bought has a better (higher resolution, I presume) screen than the cheap laptop I bought. When I looked at the Nikon pic on the laptop and the phone pic on the phone, the latter looked much better. When I copied the latter to the laptop and looked at both of them on the laptop, the Nikon magically looked better. Ditto when looking at my own blog post with both pics on the phone.
    This explains why we all think we're great photographers when shooting with our phone cameras. I was always posting pictures on Facebook and feeling annoyed that they didn't look as good, thinking that Facebook was sucking away my color palette. The fact that they looked fine via Facebook on the phone but less fine via the laptop escaped me totally. Sharp as a tack, I am.
    So, this leads us to a world where our perceptions are informed by the little computers we carry around in our pockets that make our surroundings look more beautiful than they really are, and then we wake up to the illusion when we see a more accurate reflection. Sounds like a fairy tale, or beer goggles. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like the really pretty pictures, but then I'm mad when they turn out to be less pretty than I think. I guess I could try to adjust the display on the phone to dial down the tint a bit. But I'm not sure either the I or the phone is that smart.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps you've stumbled on the reason for the popularity of selfies....Why not enjoy your vie on rose? The world can be so harsh. Final thought: there's probably a program somewhere that will doctor your photos to look the same on the laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to publish the comment. Google displayed a string of numbers and the challenge: Please prove you're not a robot. I typed in the little box: "I assure you I am no robot." They refused to believe me. I'm hurt. Plus, on my phone they keep giving me Yankees scores and results. I NEVER asked or would ask for that. Either Google doesn't really understand me, or they just don't respect me at all. Either way, the wedding is off, and I'm sending back that nice present the NSA gave me.
    And now, even though they have me signed in as Mal, they want that damned proof again. A man's word is worth nothing anymore. From now on just sign me "Anonymous"....

    ReplyDelete