Friday, May 9, 2014

Mourning in reverse

    I don't think Mother's Day ads used to bother me. The thing about Alzheimer's or any kind of senile dementia is that you can't really mourn. Anyway, you can't mourn in the ordinary way, because by the time the person dies you're relieved on their behalf that they have been released. And you feel as if you've done your mourning already in the years that the person was slipping away. But you haven't really.
    I'm finally getting around to mourning my mother's death. The fact that the Mother's Day ads are getting on my nerves suggests that I'm not particularly close to acceptance yet. I think I'm actually doing better with my dad. This isn't to say that he's dying anytime soon, but at 93 and in his condition, he's dying some year soon. And that is a shock, and I've been fairly freaked out about it for years now. I think I'm finally coming to a point near acceptance, though. Compared to senile dementia, having somebody in declining health whom you can talk about it with them is much, much better. I guess we're all getting towards acceptance. Anyway I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment