Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Again with the water moccasins

    I will be brief. I will explain why momentarily.
    Today I went out to walk the Timmerman Trail. I had a clever plan; I would stay on Old State Road rather than picking up the trail where it crosses the road the first time, instead jumping on when it crosses the second time, thus making a longer, still pleasant walk. Unfortunately, shortly after I got on the trail, the vision in my right eye started flashing, probably a sign of incipient migraine. (That's what the one migraine I ever had was like, decades ago, anyway.)
    So I cut the walk short at half a circuit and returned to the car. I still had some errands to run so I ran them quickly, and went home to lie in the dark. That is what I will return to doing if I can come to the point quickly here. (Bets?)
    Unfortunately (this still isn't the point) an amazing thunderstorm came through, knocking out the power and knocking over a largish tree in my yard. Then it was time to go get Dad and the longest train I've ever seen came along just before I reached the tracks on Huger Street, slowed and slowed and ground to a stop. I persuaded the people in the next lane to let me out and was able to pick up Dad with only a slight delay, although for once he actually had to wait for me. It looked like we were driving right into the storm, but it had passed and Margaret's house was totally clear, even though she said the yard had been flooded minutes before.
    But that still isn't the point. When I got to Old State Road again on Timmerman Trail, I met a couple of SCE&G employees who had recently laid down their large packs which looked to be power leaf blowers. Also I had been hearing something like power leaf blowers. They told me to watch out for that snake, that it was a copperhead, not to let it bite me and that they were about to kill it. It was a water moccasin, quite small and just basking. And I really wish I had told them so and suggested that they just go blow their leaves somewhere else and the snake would go away in good time. But I can see their point of view. If somebody did get bitten, SCE&G (the power company building the park) would get sued. And if they got bitten, they would be very very unhappy themselves. So sure, I understand their position. But it still was sad. OK, back to my sleep mask!

No comments:

Post a Comment