Friday, May 23, 2014

Coppernose! Cottonhead! Hogmouth!


    So I was going to hike the Timmerman Trail this morning, but park at Congaree Creek Heritage Preserve, thereby substituting a scenic five-minute hike on Old State Road for a not terribly scenic fifteen-minute hike on from the Timmerman parking area to get to the interesting parts. Maybe Old State Road isn't that scenic either, but I like it better. Regardless, when I got there, I heard something that sounded like blasting, not surprising since there's a construction site across the road. Still, suddenly, it seemed like a good time to visit the heritage preserve instead, and it was!
    This area has been in a drought for about 20 years. I'm not sure it has officially ended even yet, but we certainly got our rains last year. Unfortunately, the trails at the heritage preserve were set up during the low-rain period. Over the last year, long stretches have been frustratingly soggy as all hell. So I was thrilled to find everything dry but the creek, for a change. Also this is a good spot for ebony jewelwings, damselflies with green bodies and black wings. (This should make them ebonywing jewels; go figure.) I had seen a bunch at Poinsett State Park last week and figured (correctly) that there would be a bunch here, too. This is what I get for being a bug fan.
    I'm strolling along and spot a pretty snake basking by the trail. I snag a photo and it vanishes like smoke. It was probably a yellow-bellied racer; moved like it, anyway. Farther along, I cross a small watercourse and meet a much less friendly snake. It shook its tail like a rattler in spite of not having rattles. A glimmer from memory told me that this is not a good thing, so I took another picture and chose a path around, rather than over or through.
    I tried to identify the snake via the Internet, risky when you're looking at a phone in bright sunlight. I thought it was a copperhead, but that proved to be mistaken. My friend William saw the picture on Facebook and said it was either a cottonmouth or a hognose. All three do the rattlesnake tail trick when ready to bite, though the cottonmouth also shows... why he's called a cottonmouth. I was just as glad that I didn't receive this demonstration.
    I dunno, I don't suppose I was ever in any danger to speak of. I just still can't get used to this new John who isn't afraid of things anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment