Sunday, June 7, 2015

So-lution?

    As time goes on, my CDs featuring oodle after oodle of old-time radio shows, some with 55 hours or more of programming per CD, have been performing worse and worse. You get ten minutes into a thirty-minute show and it just ends and the player skips to the next show. Often the same thing happens to the next program as well. So for ages I've been trying to find a CD player lens cleaner. But the days of CDs are pretty well past. Every store has a slot where cleaners should be sold, but they're always sold out.
    Today at Target, I found one. So far, the results aren't overly good. It appears that the files have gotten corrupted over the years. In fact, I kind of buried the lead. I checked one of the CDs on my laptop and specifically one of the files that had ended early. Windows media player showed it as being 19 minutes long instead of 30. So most likely no CD lens cleaner is going to help.
    I ripped some of my favorite shows and put them on my iPod Nano. The files went on my old laptop and filled it up to the point that it wouldn't/won't boot up anymore. I am assured that this is easy to fix and I can get those files, at least, back. Short of buying them all again, this is probably the best solution. I also still have the iPod Nano, which is how I mostly listen to the shows now. Apparently iPods are more reliable than CDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment