Monday, June 1, 2015

Blue jay way

    This was supposed to be yesterday's entry, but I blanked out totally. Day before yesterday, I wanted to go down the street to the empty lot and try to get sunset pictures. Harry had just been outside, but I had let him out. When I started down the street, he sat peaceably in the yard for a moment, but when I got half a block away he of course had to follow. It is not news that you can't tell a cat to do anything, but I at least tried though to no avail.
    On the next block, he started being dive-bombed by a blue jay. At first it was a little funny since neither combatant seemed wounded in any way, but the blue jay wouldn't quit. Harry was making these pitiful little mews, but he wouldn't quit either. He kept following on, making sadder and sadder sounds even after the jay was left behind. So I played with my toy a bit and shot some pictures, but made it short. I led Harry back through Blue Jay Way again. I came about an inch from threatening the jay with the drone (for all the good that would have done), but got Harry home safely. Then I got an acceptable shot of my own street from on high (the only decent shot all day) before ceding the night to the blue jays.
    Thing about this toy is that the camera is slung underneath and pointed down. This means that you have to get really high before you can get any good pictures. (Not a Grateful Dead song.) The problems with that are wind and trees. I found out yesterday after posting that my old middle school is actually ideal for this since the school yard is just a yard, no equipment or trees of any kind. This morning I even got some decent skyline shots from there. Now that I know which way uptown/downtown is, I might do better! Still, I couldn't fly far since the school is surrounded by immense trees.
    I do want to give a shout out to the dogs of Shandon neighborhood playing at Hand Middle School. None tried to play fetch with my drone nor messed with me in any way. One owner said, "Not a dog toy" to one, but the dog was showing no sign of interest. Good dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment