Sunday, July 12, 2015

A better class

"I just don't know about those new people who moved into the Weavers' old place."
    "What's wrong with them?"
"I think they might be Episcopalian."
    "What? No!"
"I think they are."
    "Who would believe it? In this day and age!"
"They've got that little Episcopalian sticker on their car."
    "Well my word! Them and their bishops and their archbishops."
"Not like us. Not like us at all!"
    "I should say not!"
"And their young one. I don't even like to say it!"
    "Say what?"
"I think he may be..."
    "May be what?"
"May be a mandolinist."
    "No!"
"I think he is."
    "A mandolinist! In this neighborhood! It doesn't bear thinking about."
"What is the world coming to?"
    "What indeed? Where will it all end?"
"They just aren't like us."
    "Not like us at all!"
"And I think... I think I saw Osmond Brothers records."
    "Osmond Brothers records?"
"Who still has Osmond Brothers records?"
    "I still have 'One Bad Apple.'"
"Well of course. EVERYBODY still has 'One Bad Apple.' But it's weird to have any other Osmond Brothers records."
    "They might be valuable."
"They might be. But it isn't like us."
    "Oh no. Not like us at all."
"And there's another sticker on the car that says they're in the country club."
    "Oh good heavens. Not that!"
"Oh how I hate those country club people. Always looking down on everybody and finding fault. Not like us."
    "No, not like us at all."

Tomorrow: Serendipity

No comments:

Post a Comment