Friday, July 10, 2015

Drone reborn

    So my friend Bruce came around some weeks ago with a soldering iron and changed out all the motors for the old original drone. Alas, when all that was done, it still wouldn't fly. the new motors spun like crazy, but fly it would not do.
    Yesterday, I noticed something that I should have noticed before. Moreover, I should have figured it out before. What I should have figured out was that if two of the motors go clockwise and two counter-clockwise (they do), the propellers ought to be different. What I should have noticed before was that they ARE different. Each propeller has a warning label affixed to it. ("Do not grab these, Enrique Iglesias.") On some they're on the left; on some they're on the right. When I put them with the labels where they are on the picture on the box, miracle of miracles: a flying drone again! Yes, I really am that dumb.
    Also, when we were doing all the taking apart, I thought that the screws (all tiny) were interchangeable. This turned out not to be the case. Some have bigger heads in order to, you know, hold the propellers on. But I took the thing apart again and put it back together and didn't find any more big head screws. Nor did we lose any screws. (If anything, we gained one.) So I just can't figure it. Having had one propeller fly off by itself due to the littler screw not holding it on, I tried the (hopefully) clever trick of inventing a tiny washer through use of a tiny piece of aluminum foil. Can't hurt, anyway.
    Point is, the old original drone is back, better than ever, and looking for a tree to crash into. Huzzah!
    Tomorrow: Look Ma! No Flag!

No comments:

Post a Comment