Thursday, July 9, 2015

My lord and master pernil

    I've been trying for ages to find an ideal venue for Drinking Liberally. This is not surprising. Bars are not made for discussion groups. Though we are not primarily a discussion group, it's nice to hear what everybody is saying. Or at least to be able to hear what everybody is saying if you want to. This is normally impossible in a bar. It's especially impossible in the kind of dive that national DL would prefer that we meet in to keep costs low for potential new members. So it's been frustrating.
    Membership too started slipping when Obama took office, as people no longer had the "OMG! What has this idiot Bush done NOW?!" motivation for getting together. And of course I'm a jerk. So there aren't many of us. The steadiest attendees live in or near the northeast part of town. So there was a suggestion that we try to find a venue in that direction. So I tried Los Bellos Portales, primarily a Puerto Rican place.
    Oh my freakin' gosh! The first time I went, I ordered mofongo, fried plantains, with steak and onions. I liked the steak and onions a lot but was not as overwhelmed as I was hoping to be by the mofongo. (It's crazy fun to say "mofongo," though.) However, for the first actual meeting there, I ordered pernil. Roast pork butt, what's exotic about that, right? It was devastatingly heavenly kookoo awesome! As a plus, I didn't get sick in any way either time in spite of not having mentioned gluten at all. Now, I don't know if people in general are going to make the trip to the edge of town for Puerto Rican food and political discussion. The probability is that I'll be moving back to town pretty soon. But for a short minuts, what a great venue I've found!
    Tomorrow: the drone RETURNS!

No comments:

Post a Comment