Thursday, September 10, 2015

All that angst for that?!

    So I finally got around to going into the office at SC E&G (still the power company) to get Dad's light bill switched to my name or at least to my billing address. When Dad was still living, I tried to do this and they required my power of attorney, which I didn't have on me. Possibly because it was a stressful time generally (for "living," read "dying"), this did not seem a reasonable request, or anyway particularly sane. I was trying to improve the probability that their bill got paid; you'd think they would be all about this. Paying somebody's light bill might be a good way to steal their identity, I don't know, but there are probably better ones that don't require a monthly outlay of funds.
    Regardless, I was very, very, very wary about going back, but finally did. I think I even saw the same lady, who was certainly in no way rude last time but was maybe a trifle intransigent and not noticeably helpful in any way. If it was the same lady, she was certainly different today. Maybe it was because I had my big expanding file folder and clearly showed potential of burying her in paper. She never asked for a death certificate nor letters testamentary. She did want to see the papers making me trustee, but when it developed that I didn't particularly care about putting the account in the name of the trust, she gave me those back and just made it a second account under my name, mailed to my address. Simple. Why couldn't we do this last year?

No comments:

Post a Comment