Friday, September 18, 2015

Here's I am

    Long ago, there was a site called KissThisGuy.com which featured untold numbers of misheard song lyrics. There was also another one with a less creative name, something like MisheardSongLyrics.com. Maybe they're still around, but as of still a long time ago (say, ten years), they weren't being updated, so I quit looking. Anyway, they never put up my submission. (The idea!) I mention them because one or another asked you to put your misheard lyric, the correct lyric, and whether you liked your way better.
    It's a long way to get around to the fact that yesterday I heard "Because the Night" as covered by 10,000 Maniacs, which I have heard many times, especially as I have the record. But for the first time, I heard that the first line is "Take me now, honey, here as I am." Now in my heart of hearts, I always thought that Bruce, Patti and Natalie were all singing, "Here's I am," as a sort of nod to the speech patterns of the tri-state area. And I went into all that rigmarole in the preceding paragraph because I definitely like my version better. And now I desperately want to do a cover version in the voice of Popeye the Sailor Man. (Insert Popeye laugh here, because "Kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh-kuh" captures it phonetically, but doesn't exactly convey the sound.)

No comments:

Post a Comment