Monday, September 7, 2015

Further brilliancy

    Old-time radio is an odd thing to get enthusiastic about. Or ironic maybe. Because you're listening to stuff from so long ago that it's in the public domain. Thus on the one hand you're listening to material from 70 years ago, but on the other hand the best way to acquire shows is via high-speed internet. However, when I got started, I didn't know that and anyway wasn't on high-speed internet. So I bought a big pile of CDs with colossal numbers of old radio shows. But nobody told me that the files could corrupt.
    Fortunately, I copied a lot of the best shows onto my old laptop. Unfortunately, I filled the hard drive so full that after a certain point it wouldn't boot up anymore. This is why I switched to this here laptop. But also fortunately the guy in the other half of the house is by way of being a computer expert. He couldn't boot it up either, but he could get the MP3s off it onto my dad's old computer. He did. Some of my favorites, which had corrupted and thus would quit playing ten or fifteen minutes in, are now back. Yay! If I've already told all of this story except for the happy ending part, I apologize. I'm all excited. Also the other brilliancy to talk about would have been gluten-free chicken noodle soup.
    Also in radioland, I found a CD I made (also a data CD) with a lot of great old-time radio shows on it. It only works on this computer, but is big fun. Further brilliancy still is that I bought a set of speakers a year ago in hopes that it would work with my Casio. It didn't. I plugged it up to the laptop, but had to put up with a constant buzz from them. That was annoying but I could live with it. But today, I tried to listen to the OTR data CD and no sound came out unless I partly unplugged the speakers. And even then, if I turned up the sound, the hum turned up, too. It was a bridge too far. They're dead to me. I'm using the Big Lots speakers I long ago bought for my ancient (2001) PC which I never use anyway. They're not great either, but there's suddenly no hum. (Also as I said, the shows are 70 years old; the sound quality isn't that great in the first place.)

No comments:

Post a Comment