Sunday, September 13, 2015

Fanaticism abating?

    People often point out that "fan" (as in "sports fan") is short for "fanatic." This presumably is because the word is used so often that it's easy to forget. It's easier to remember in any major sports town (in the sense of major league or major college). On a personal level, I feel like my fanaticism is finally abating or maybe sanity is asserting itself. Downtown U. lost their football game last night in embarrassing fashion to an opponent that should have been inferior. While I'm not thrilled nor doing backflips, I'm not noticing much in the way of the long-familiar "somebody shot my dog" emotions. Whether this means that I'm going sane or just always ready to adjust to the football team's return to their decades-long devotion to mediocrity is an open question. Hopefully it's the low point of the season and I don't have to explore the question further. But if I do, I hope the shot my dog sensation never returns; it's really a drag.
    I wrote a Donald Trump parody song. I will share it at the least tiniest provocation. Paul didn't laugh even a giggle and he was the one who came up with the idea, so don't get your hopes up. I was already counting my millions, but maybe I was getting ahead of myself. Al Yankovic apparently has nothing to be worried about. Maybe I'll follow his lead and parody "Lump." ("He's Trump/ He's Trump/ He's Trump/ He's in my head...")

No comments:

Post a Comment