Saturday, September 19, 2015

JUST about ready for kindergarten (still)

    Years ago, my sister gave me a Nikon Coolpix camera. Once I had a smart phone, though, I pretty much quit using it. When that smart phone filled up and I had to get a new one, I became gradually dissatisfied with the new one's camera. So lately I've been carrying the cool camera again. However, in the interim, I've gotten really interested in shooting bugs. The camera has a macro (flower) button but no amount of pushing that button produced any change nor any good closeup pictures.
    Sigh. This is the RTFM moment, isn't it? Hitting the menu button produces a confusing display of what looks like a dozen identical choices. However, pushing the camera button when you're already in camera mode (as against playback/display mode, which has its own button) displays a useful menu. And this menu conveys that I was in Easy Auto mode. Among the other modes (including assorted portrait modes and some other I don't recall) was Auto. (Just plain auto? Regular Auto? Otto the autopilot?) And in just plain Auto, suddenly the Macro button started working. Of course, then the bugs all vanished. But I did get a fairly happening spider shot. (Granted, I shot the same spider with good results the other day without the macro button. But still.)
    I also figured out how to edit pictures while they're still in the camera, which is way easier than using the software. Way easier even than on the phone. So suddenly I like this camera way way more than previously. And I might be ready to learn cursive soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment