Friday, September 25, 2015

Slideshow

    I did something borderline brilliant and borderline idiotic. (This, perhaps, marks me for borderline disorder.) I made my desktop background on the laptop a slideshow of my favorite pictures. Why this might be brilliant, I hope, is self-evident. Why it might be idiotic, well: I could have done this one of two ways. I could have gone through my pictures using Search and Picture Viewer and copied and pasted my favorites into a new folder, Favorites (say).
    What I did instead, knowing it was probably dumb, was to copy and paste my pictures from the Search Results to the window where you actually pick your desktop background. Non-Windows persons might want to know why I need Search Results. The pictures are in their own folders for any individual day that I uploaded pictures from a camera. Over a few years, that's a lot of folders. So it's better just to search for .jpgs on the hard drive and display them all at once.
    The problem with this method was that from the window where you choose the desktop background (which if it ever comes up again, we're calling wallpaper) there is no obvious way to make the thumbnails bigger, so it's easy to pick a picture you don't actually like. The other problem is that if for some mad reason I ever want to use this method again, that window will totally forget that I put 1,700 pictures in that directory so I would have to do it all again. So if I ever do this again, it's back to plan A.
    It's likely to be soon, because in fact I've already seen several pictures that looked way better as thumbnails than as full screen pictures. But another neat feature of the slideshow is that I don't have to wait 30 minutes for the next picture; I can just tell it to skip ahead. I tell you it's almost as fun as that electronic picture frame I always wanted!

No comments:

Post a Comment