Saturday, April 23, 2016

Butterflies still absent

    I haunt my own previous year Facebook posts, partly because sometimes I posted something funny or a good cat picture, but mostly to find out when the butterflies emerged in past years. The answer is "by now." So I'm increasingly concerned. I appreciate that with Houston still underwater, it may be in poor taste to whine about a lack of butterflies due to our own much less serious flood. But a) I like butterflies and b) they are important pollinators. (Yes I looked up the spelling. No it does not make any sense. Of COURSE something that moves pollEn would be a pollInator!)
    I'm wondering if Sierra Club or Audubon or Nature Conservancy or anyone has considered butterfly releases. Our entire state was flooded. Granted, butterflies will come back eventually, but this could take a while. Not like most of these migrate particularly. They'll come here following food. Eventually. I guess I'll give my Sierran friends a buzz about maybe doing releases. Spring broods are always smaller than summer, but this is ridiculous. One butterfly a day, every day, really strikes me as unusual. Prepare yourselves, Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment