Sunday, April 24, 2016

It's upside down!

    Last night, we very much enjoyed a concert at ifART Gallery (which you don't want to mis-capitalize) by saxophonist Mars Williams, trombonist Jeb Bishop and percussionist Tim Daisy, operating under the name Trio Red Space or some damn thing like that. Mars is an insanely gifted player but maybe a little hyperactive, knocking his music to the ground twice. Sitting on the front row right in front of him, the first time I handed it to him. The second time though, his hands were full so I put it on the stand for him. Paul Grant, who promoted the show on Facebook for our friend Ross Taylor, gestured that I had put it upside down. Woody Jones, my friend, jazz CD connection and favorite DJ every three weeks, did the same in spite of being 20 feet away and on the wrong side of the music stand. I read music; I WRITE music. I can tell the difference. I thought maybe there were staves on the back and I had it backwards, but no. Anyway, after the show, Paul apologized, realizing that I really did get it right. I'm just glad that they weren't trying to wind me up. Frankly, I thought it was pretty damned funny. Next time, we bring hand fans. When they burn the house down, they REALLY burn the house down!

No comments:

Post a Comment