Friday, April 15, 2016

Estate sale

    Sunday, Paul and I went to an estate sale in one of the finer homes of Wales Garden, in turn one of the finer neighborhoods in town. In general, we found the house a lot more interesting than the offerings. The house was pretty big, but seemed larger on the outside. As it was the last day, prices were half off and we were looking hard for a price tag on a wall for the entire house.
    What I mainly found is that I'm a big snob. There were Dick Francis books that I didn't have and due to the half-price sale, could have picked up for $1 each. I'd like to say that I didn't want to buy books that I knew came from a recently deceased person, but the truth is the fact that I didn't like his other books turned me off. "Maybe I'm wrong to be reading Dick Francis and John D. MacDonald!" a part of me seemed to be thinking. (He also had some MacDonalds, but none that I don't have already.) Not earth-shattering, I realize, but a very odd thing to find out about oneself. On the other hand, I had read the books in question already, and my Dick Francis reading seems to have slowed to a stop lately. So maybe it's more that it's a phase that's passed. I prefer to think so.
    Meanwhile, the fax from Great-West arrived at my bank, but it was the wrong form, the one for my dad. So unless I can get through at this hour (earlier in Colorado, of course), an extension is most likely in my future. Not the worst thing ever, but a little annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment