Monday, September 23, 2013

Allow me to bore you stupid

    "Too late," you say? Ah well. Actually, since I came up with the subject line, I went really post-graduate on boring. This morning, this laptop finally successfully downloaded all its Windows updates. Now I realize that really, seriously this is boring, but it's the first time in probably a year; the other laptop pretty much quit getting updates at all. As this may have been what killed it (not likely, but it may have been), it's not entirely a boring subject.
    In fact, it's been a delightfully boring day altogether. I dropped by my bank to see why I haven't gotten my new checks. It turned out that they had been delivered to the bank with no further contact information on me. So it was really fortuitous or smart that I decided to go around and check today. Also, I'm due for a new ATM card next month, so it's good that I finally got across to them (on the second try) that my mailing address really is good, that I haven't moved, and it was the USPS that was confused but that they have it all straight now.
    I mention it because I then went to get a haircut and I was so charged about getting stuff straightened out with the bank that I almost told the stylist all about it. But I decided that it's the barber who is supposed to be boring, not the customer, so I, uh, forebore. She did provide another boring anecdote, though. She asked, for the first time any stylist ever has, if I wanted her to trim my eyebrows. I did. For this solicitousness, I tipped her the change on a $10 for a $7 haircut. Then felt foolish when I got home and found my eyebrows largely flesh-colored. But they'll grow back!
    What actually inspired the subject line is that I figured out that the odd sensations or non-sensations in my left leg are likely neither Lyme disease nor sciatica but are rather probably due to my inability to do up the laces tightly on my hiking boots. And the conspicuously odd but yet not conspicuously interesting aspect to this story is that I bought the identicaly brand and style of hiking boots as the previous pair that gave me no trouble at all. Only difference: old ones were made in Vietnam; new ones are made in China. Also the new ones are actually narrower. So I have no clue why they're looser. I have found that if I do the tighten up after making the knot and then reknot them, they fit adequately. This is such a pain though that I'll probably bail on them and get new ones. One of these days.
    I'm thrilled to say that Dad and Margaret are satisfied enough with suite hotel living that, while the situation isn't boring, it has stabilized and is at least not what you could call interesting-in-a-bad-way. Hope things stay that way. Hey! Wake up!

No comments:

Post a Comment