Friday, September 6, 2013

Substitute

    A frustrating thing about gluten free living is that you have to learn how to substitute for everything. And a lot of the obvious substitutes turn out not to be so obvious. Most celiacs can eat gluten-free oats. For some reason, not necessarily gluten-related, they give me hot flashes, though, so I avoid them. But I'm still a fan of oatmeal cookies.
    It occurred to me that buckwheat ought to be an excellent substitute. But NO! Everybody offering recipes for oatmeal-like buckwheat cookies puts in the oatmeal, too. More oatmeal than buckwheat in fact. Apparently, buckwheat, or rather buckwheat flour, is a good substitute for wheat flour. (Hence the name, I guess.) A good substitute for oatmeal is quinoa flakes. Why not just quinoa? I have not idea. But it sounds like fun. I'll probably try it very soon.
    I went walking at Sesquicentennial State Park not far from here today. The trail around the lake there has really been cleaned up. I guess you could even say it has been paved, and all the old bridges have been replaced. Maybe a little sterile for ideal hiking, but it seems like a brilliant place to jog. And I had 4G coverage for a change, so yippie!

No comments:

Post a Comment